Sunday, June 07, 2009

Tom Swifties

The New York Times Schott's Vocab blog is having a Tom Swifties competition this weekend.

http://schott.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/weekend-competition-tom-swifties/

The funniest so far is this raunchy one:

“I learned a lot of new things in Paris: said Tom, indifferently.

— Arthur J. Shaw III

I challenged myself to do an adverb for every letter of the alphabet. Some of the less awful ones were:

“I fell asleep by the pool!” said Tom appealingly.

“We’ll close Guantanamo when we figure out where to house the detainees,” said Obama, cagily.

“I finally got my converter box working,” said Tom, ecstatically.

“Before braising organs you must cut away all excess fat,” said Tom heartrenderingly.

“These chest-building exercises aren’t working for me,” said Tom, impeccably.

“We flood Turkmenistan. The Sixth Fleet moves in from the Caspian Sea, attacking Al Qaeda from the west while the Third Marines sweep in from the east,” Admiral Mullen strategized knavishly.

“I shall apply this feather to every inch of your body,” said Tom, meticulously.

“I’m a sucker for All You Can Eat Pizza,” said Tom, obeisantly.

“My latest invention is a Candy Vaporizer!” said Tom, pessimistically.

“You won’t get any publicity unless I implant at least five,” said Tom, quintessentially.

“My latest invention is a Bugger Bundler!” said Tom, rhapsodically.

“In my new job I report to the housemaid,” said Tom, subserviently.

“I would lick Leonard Cohen’s toes,” said Tom, sycophantically.

“Use any means necessary to find the link between Sadaam and Al Qaeda!” said Dick torturously.

“Dammit, be on time!” Tom ululated.

“I just about break even on my trips to Vegas,” said Tom winsomely.

"It appears he was crocodiled or giant pythoned," said Tom, verbatim.

“I hate Greek paradoxes!” yelled Tom xenophobically.

No comments: